To Chinatown and back

Great day yesterday, complicated only by Chris T just missing the 9.47 express to Sydney which departed with me aboard spot on 9.47. Chris T was in the lift descending to the platform at that moment, but he caught the next an hour  later and eventually found us in Zilver.


Zilver was good, though a bit of a queue to get in for yum cha. Now despite the well-deserved accolades, Chris T and I find Wollongong’s Ziggy’s House of Nomms actually has better dumplings. There were some excellent dishes though.

Photo of Ziggy's House of Nomms

Dumplings from Ziggy’s House of Nomms

We presented M with a tube of white fur silver needle tea from Ziggy’s.

This rare tea was only given to royalty and was revered for its purity.  The popularity of this white tea reached its peak during the era of the Chinese Emperor Hui Tsung (1101-1125 A. D.).  Legend has it this Emperor loved this rare tea.  In the pursuit of searching for the perfect cup, the perfect brew, the obsessed Emperor lost his empire to the invading Mongols.

Imagine that, dear readers, losing your empire over a cup of good tea.  Though based on the aforementioned attempt of maintaining the purity of the leaf, it must be worth it.  What do you think?

After yum cha M proposed a walk to the Chinese Garden in Darling Harbour, but Max, Chris T and I opted out and went instead for a wine or Guinness to the Palace Hotel (1877) on the corner of Hay and George Streets. Delightful young Canadian barman. So much renovating and digging going on in this area at the moment.


I found myself suffering tram nostalgia from the sound of the bells on passing trams. This first bit of Sydney’s resurrected light rail has been in operation since the late 1990s at least. The trams looked like this in 2008:

Light rail near Belmore Park, late afternoon

I of course was thinking of the ones I would often catch to Sydney High sixty years ago:


The current trams look like this; Chris T and I caught one very crowded tram back to Central before (just) catching the 4.29 back to Wollongong: